Last Updated on March 11, 2023 by DAVID
There’s something special about getting into a freshly made bed, but have you ever wished it could also smell amazing? Adding a pleasant scent to your bedding can enhance the cozy and inviting atmosphere of your room. So, if you’re wondering how to make your bed smell good, here are some tips to try:
- Keep your bedding clean: The first step in ensuring your bed smells great is to wash your bedding regularly. This will not only eliminate any unwanted odors and bacteria but also leave your bedding smelling fresh and clean. Aim to wash your sheets and pillowcases once a week, and your comforter or duvet cover every month.
- Use a scented laundry detergent: When washing your bedding, choose a laundry detergent with a scent you love to add a subtle fragrance. Some popular scents for bedding include lavender, citrus, and eucalyptus, as they can promote relaxation and have a calming effect.
- Add fabric softener: Fabric softener is another great way to add a lovely scent to your bedding. Choose a fabric softener that complements the scent of your laundry detergent for an added touch of luxury and freshness.
- Use a linen spray: A linen spray is a simple and effective way to add a refreshing scent to your bedding. Spritz your pillows, sheets, and comforter with the spray before making your bed. You can choose from a variety of scents, such as lavender, rose, and peppermint.
- Try essential oils: Essential oils are a natural way to add a lovely aroma to your bedding. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to your laundry detergent or fabric softener, or use a diffuser in your bedroom to create a pleasant scent. Some popular essential oils for bedding include lavender, chamomile, and sandalwood.
- Use scented sachets: Scented sachets are small bags filled with fragrant herbs or flowers. Place one or two sachets between your sheets or under your pillow for a subtle and long-lasting scent. Popular scents for sachets include lavender, rose, and chamomile.
- Consider a mattress topper: If your mattress has an odor, a mattress topper can help mask the smell and add a pleasant scent. Look for a topper with a removable cover that can be washed regularly, or opt for a memory foam topper that doesn’t trap odors.
Why do sheets smell after being stored?
Sheets may develop a musty or stale smell after being stored for a while due to a variety of reasons. The main culprits are often humidity and lack of ventilation. When sheets are stored in a humid environment, moisture can build up and create a breeding ground for mold and mildew. These fungi can cause unpleasant smells and may even trigger allergies or respiratory problems in some individuals.
Another reason why sheets may smell after being stored is a lack of ventilation. If the sheets are packed tightly in a storage container, the air may not circulate properly, which can cause the fabric to become stale and musty.
In addition, if the sheets were not thoroughly cleaned before storage, any sweat, body oils, or other debris left on them can create odors over time. Storing sheets in a location that is not properly cleaned or disinfected can also contribute to musty odors.
To prevent sheets from smelling after storage, it’s important to store them in a clean and dry location. Avoid storing them in areas that are prone to moisture, such as basements or attics. Instead, opt for a cool and dry closet or dresser drawer.
Make sure that the sheets are clean and completely dry before storing them. You may also want to add a fabric freshener or dryer sheet to the storage container to keep the sheets smelling fresh.
Lastly, it’s a good idea to wash the sheets again before using them after storage, especially if they have been stored for a long time or in an unfavorable environment. This will ensure that they are clean and free from any musty odors that may have developed during storage.
In summary, making your bed smell good is a simple way to create a more comfortable and inviting sleep environment. With a little effort and the right products, you can enjoy a fresh and fragrant bed every night.
You may read: Why does my nectar mattress smell?
David is a Certified Sleep Science Coach who analyzes sleep products and appears. He completed his master’s degree in journalism Industry from University of Hawai’i. He wants to make sure good night’s sleep for all.