Last Updated on March 9, 2023 by DAVID
Purple and Tempurpedic are two of the most well-known mattress brands in the world. Both have a loyal customer base and a reputation for creating high-quality, comfortable mattresses. However, there are some key differences between the two brands that can impact your decision when choosing a new mattress. In this article, we will compare Purple vs. Tempur-Pedic mattresses to help you decide which one is right for you.
One of the most significant differences between Purple and Tempurpedic mattresses is their construction. Purple mattresses are made with a unique hyper-elastic polymer grid that provides a comfortable, supportive sleep surface. This grid is designed to support your body and provide pressure relief where you need it most.
On the other hand, Tempurpedic mattresses are made with memory foam. This material conforms to your body shape, providing a personalized level of support and comfort. While memory foam can be comfortable, some people find that it retains heat and can be difficult to move around on.
Both Purple and Tempurpedic offer a range of firmness options to suit different sleeping preferences. Purple mattresses are available in three firmness levels: Soft, Medium, and Firm. The Soft option is best for side sleepers who need extra pressure relief, while the Firm option is ideal for back and stomach sleepers who need more support.
Tempurpedic mattresses are available in a wider range of firmness levels, from Soft to Firm. However, the exact firmness of a Tempurpedic mattress can vary depending on the specific model and materials used.
Motion isolation is an important factor to consider if you share a bed with a partner. You want a mattress that can absorb movement and prevent it from transferring to the other side of the bed. Both Purple and Tempurpedic mattresses are designed to minimize motion transfer, but they use different methods.
Purple mattresses use their hyper-elastic polymer grid to isolate motion. The grid flexes independently in response to pressure, which can help prevent motion from transferring to other parts of the mattress.
Tempurpedic mattresses use memory foam to isolate motion. The foam contours to your body, absorbing movement and preventing it from spreading throughout the mattress. However, some people find that memory foam can feel “stuck in” and make it difficult to move around.
Sleeping hot is a common problem for many people, and it can be exacerbated by certain types of mattresses. Purple mattresses are designed to be cooling, with their hyper-elastic polymer grid promoting airflow and preventing heat buildup.
Tempurpedic mattresses can also be cooling, depending on the specific model and materials used. Some Tempurpedic mattresses feature cooling gel or other materials designed to dissipate heat and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
You may read: Can you wash tempurpedic pillows in your washing machine?
Comparison table on purple vs tempurpedic mattress
Here is a comparison table of Purple and Tempur-Pedic mattresses:
|Feature||Purple Mattress||Tempur-Pedic Mattress|
|Construction Material||Hyper-Elastic Polymer Grid||Memory Foam|
|Firmness Options||Soft, Medium, Firm||Soft, Medium, Firm|
|Support||Good for all sleeping positions||Good for all sleeping positions|
|Price Range||$649 – $1,849||$1,699 – $8,498|
|Trial Period||100 Nights||90 Nights|
As you can see, both Purple and Tempur-Pedic mattresses have many similarities and a few differences. They both offer a range of firmness options and good support for all sleeping positions. Both brands also offer good pressure relief and motion isolation. However, there are some differences in terms of cooling properties, durability.
You may read: Do Tempur-Pedic Mattresses Sagging over time?
Pros & Cons of Purple and Tempur-Pedic Mattress
When it comes to choosing a new mattress, Purple and Tempur-Pedic are two of the most popular brands on the market. Both offer a range of mattresses with different features and benefits. In this article, we will examine the pros and cons of each brand to help you make an informed decision when choosing a new mattress.
Pros of Purple Mattresses:
- Unique Construction: Purple mattresses are made with a hyper-elastic polymer grid that provides pressure relief and airflow. This material is designed to support your body while keeping you cool and comfortable.
- Good for All Sleeping Positions: Purple mattresses come in different firmness levels, making them suitable for all sleeping positions. Whether you sleep on your back, stomach, or side, there is a Purple mattress that can accommodate your needs.
- Affordable: Compared to other high-end mattress brands, Purple mattresses are relatively affordable. They offer a range of models at different price points, making it easier for you to find a mattress that fits your budget.
- Good Motion Isolation: The unique construction of Purple mattresses makes them good at isolating motion. This means that if you share a bed with a partner, you are less likely to be disturbed by their movements during the night.
Cons of Purple Mattresses:
- Not Ideal for Heavy Sleepers: Some heavy sleepers may find that Purple mattresses do not provide enough support for their weight. If you weigh more than 230 pounds, you may want to consider a different mattress brand.
- May Have a Chemical Smell: Some users report that Purple mattresses have a chemical smell when they are first unpacked. However, this smell typically goes away after a few days.
- Shorter Warranty: Purple mattresses come with a 10-year limited warranty, which is shorter than the warranties offered by some other mattress brands.
Pros of Tempur-Pedic Mattresses:
- Conforming Support: Tempur-Pedic mattresses are made with memory foam that conforms to your body shape, providing personalized support and comfort.
- Good for Pain Relief: The conforming support of Tempur-Pedic mattresses can help alleviate pain and pressure points in the body.
- Good Motion Isolation: Like Purple mattresses, Tempur-Pedic mattresses are good at isolating motion. This makes them ideal for couples who share a bed.
- Durable: Tempur-Pedic mattresses are known for their durability and longevity. With proper care, they can last for many years.
Cons of Tempur-Pedic Mattresses:
- Expensive: Compared to other mattress brands, Tempur-Pedic mattresses are relatively expensive. They may not be the best option for those on a tight budget.
- Sleeping Hot: Some users report that Tempur-Pedic mattresses can trap heat, making them uncomfortable for hot sleepers.
- Heavy: Tempur-Pedic mattresses are heavy and can be difficult to move, making them a less-than-ideal option for people who move frequently.
- Initial Odor: Like Purple mattresses, Tempur-Pedic mattresses may have a chemical odor when they are first unpacked.
Have you read: Anti Decubitus Mattress Benefits and Features (Choosing Guide)
Overall, both Purple vs. Tempur-Pedic mattresses are high-quality options that can provide a comfortable and supportive sleep surface. The choice between the two ultimately comes down to your personal preferences and needs.
If you prefer a mattress with a unique construction that provides pressure relief and airflow, a Purple mattress may be the right choice for you. However, if you prefer the conforming support of memory foam and are willing to pay a higher price,
David is a Certified Sleep Science Coach who analyzes sleep products and appears. He completed his master’s degree in journalism Industry from University of Hawai’i. He wants to make sure good night’s sleep for all.